Getting around London
London has a plethora of transport options from the ordinary like the London Underground or extensive bus service. To the extraordinary such as cruising along the Thames on a London River Services boat trip, flying through the air on the Emirates Air Line cable car, or exploring London at street level on a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. They’re all exciting ways to travel while taking in London’s views!
Please note: you will not be able to use cash to buy a bus ticket on board! You will have to use your Oyster card or any Contactless Payment enabled credit card (cost is £1.45/ride)
Our conference venue is the beautiful Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel. It's located at 200 Westminster Bridge Rd, London SE1 7UT.
If you are using the underground, the closest stations are:
- Follow signs to "South bank" exit
- Once on street level, with the station behind you, turn left on York Road (the main road in front of the station)
- Walk on until you reach the roundabout with the hotel (use the right pavement to get to the entrance easier)
- Turn left and cross the bridge
- The hotel will be right in front of you
Coming in by air?
London is served by five main airports. Use this site to help you plan getting from the airport to the hotel. And remember to note any increased security requirements for air travel to/from your origin country.
Travelling in style?
If you are interested in a driver service, uber is offering first-time customers £20 off with code UBERUXPA. (valid through 31st December 2014 in London and Manchester)
The extended forecast looks wonderful! Highs in the mid 20s C (mid-upper 70s F), and lows in the low teens C (mid-upper 50s F). This is London, of course, so rain is always a possibility :-). For more up to date info, check out the Met Office forecast.
The UK has a unique AC plug design (220 – 240 V), so make sure you pack your adaptor or buy one at the airport (it's the type G in this website).
Mobile (cellular) roaming charges
If you are visiting from abroad, keep in mind that roaming charges can inflate very quickly. Unless you have an agreement with your mobile phone provider, we recommend you only use wi-fi where this is available. At the Park Plaza you will get free unlimited 1mbit/s wi-fi throughout the venue (including you room if you are staying there) with the code UXPA1. Many restaurants and cafes (e.g. Starbucks) provide free wi-fi, as well as the network "_TheCloud" (free for 1 hour), which is available in many locations.
To switch off data roaming on your phone, follow these (or similar) instructions:
- iPhone: Settings -> Cellular -> slide ‘Data Roaming’ to the off position
- Android: Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Network Settings -> uncheck ‘Data Roaming’
- Windows Phone: Settings -> Mobile Network -> Data Roaming -> select ‘Don’t Roam’
- Blackberry: Options -> Mobile Networks -> Data Services -> select ‘Off when roaming’
Make sure you check out the ideas we have put together to copmlement your conference experience.